Houndstooth Christmas Stocking Crochet Pattern Work Up and Review

I couldn't wait to write about this houndstooth Christmas stocking crochet pattern!

Right off the bat, I could see that it would work up quickly.  I found out that it takes a little longer than my favorite stocking project, but not much.

To work it up, you need to know how to do a magic ring, how to chain, how to single crochet, how to half-double and double crochet, and how to slip stitch.

Even those who have never picked up a crochet hook could probably learn these stitches "just like that" by working this up.

It feels wonderful to the touch; probably because I used Caron Simply Soft Party Yarn in red and white and I love how it sparkles. This definitely adds to the holiday spirit in the home.

The only skill you might need to brush up on is working a magic ring, and even that is easy when you practice once or twice!  Here's a short, clear, easy-to-follow video for teaching you how to create a magic ring:


You could easily do this stocking in one color, but you wouldn't see the detail of the "houndstooth" look.  However, if you're looking for a little variety with this pattern and just want another look, a single color stocking would certainly be another option.



When working with two colors, you simply bring up the yarn when you change color, as opposed to fastening off the yarn each time you change.  I like that.  There's so much less work involved when you finally edge and finish the stocking.

I love that this works up so fast.  I did this project start-to-finish in about an hour.  Now that'll vary, depending on how fast you crochet, but not by much.

This pattern doesn't require knowledge of any special stitches and the stitches you do need to know are pretty straightforward.  In fact, these are some of the first stitches I learned, so this is a great project for beginners!

And I don't know about you, but I'm a very "visual" person.  I learn by seeing and doing.  So pictures are wonderful to have and this pattern doesn't disappoint.

The artist provides clear, up close, step-by-step photos, which were a great help when working the heel, as this was done a little differently than in other stockings I've done.


What surprised me about this pattern is how large the stocking ended up being.  The pattern says it's about 9" tall and 3.5" wide and that was pretty right on target for me.


This is why the stocking would look great as a decoration.  I currently have it hanging on a doorknob.  But it would look lovely on a tree or wrapped package, too!


You complete the stocking with a series of single crochets and chain 3's, and add a hanger, finishing off and weaving in the end.


To sum up, this is an easy pattern that works up quickly, making it great as a last-minute Christmas gift or project.  It was fun to do and I look forward to making a couple more for friends and family!

Click here to see the original pattern.  

If you decide to work this up, I would love to see the finished result.  Check me out on Facebook and share your projects!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...