Mini Granny Square Christmas Stocking Work Up and Pattern Review

I'm thrilled to be sharing this mini granny square Christmas stocking work up and pattern review!

When I first came across this pattern, I thought it sounded like fun...and it was!  It worked up pretty quick and is an easy holiday project to create for the home or to give as a gift.

As you can see, it's made up of small granny squares stitched together with a simple single crochet.  There are so many ways to customize this pattern, too.

Aside from changing up the colors, you could choose different ways to piece it together, or add some creative edging to the squares, making them larger and the stocking bigger.

You could choose to edge the entire stocking...or not.  And you could definitely go wild with the cuff.

I couldn't wait to get started on this, so I grabbed one of my favorite Christmas mugs and poured myself a cup of tea, then got down to business.


This isn't a project you can work up in an evening - it took me a couple of days.  I think the reason it took some time is because there are a lot of pieces to this project.

There are 20 mini grannies to work up, then stitch together; being mindful, of course, that the two sides of the stocking should mirror each other (I almost slipped up here!)

Then, I chose to edge the whole stocking in reverse single crochet (I LOVE how it came out, too.)

And finally, I worked up the cuff, which is simply rounds of single crochet.

Nothing is too advanced or difficult about this pattern.  The only stitches called for are single crochets, double crochets, and slip stitches.  It's a great project for a beginner looking for a little more challenge.

The only real hang up I have with this pattern is that I expected it to come out about 7" tall - still small enough to hang on a tree.  However, mine is quite large, about 12" top to heel.

I used the suggested F hook but not sport weight yarn; I went with Red Heart worsted weight yarn, which I expected to add some size, but the result was a much larger stocking than I planned for.  So this is much too large for my tree.

BUT, it would make a lovely decoration anywhere in the home, even over the fireplace (you might want to line it if you want to add goodies to it.)  And I've even thought it would be a great way to wrap a present!  I would be thrilled to receive a gift in this cute Christmas stocking.

To piece the stocking together, I first laid out the granny squares, then carefully joined them (with right sides facing) using single crochet.

This resulted in the look of whip stitching but it was a little sturdier and a little more pronounced - you could really see the white yarn.  I like that.

You could just as easily use another joining method, even joining your granny squares "as you go."

I also chose to edge the whole stocking with the decorative reverse single crochet.

This is one of my favorite ways to edge a project because it's a simple stitch with a very pretty look to it.

I love the finished "Country Christmas" look!


So much so, in fact, I'm considering adding a little "country heart" for some color.  I haven't decided yet, but I have the heart made up.  What do you think?


As soon as I finished this, my son claimed it.  So this is probably going up on the mantle this Christmas.  I get the feeling this could be an item that becomes one of those special things to pull out every year.  I know some of the Christmas treasures my mom made sure are special to me and I look forward to enjoying them during the holidays.  Maybe this will spark that same kind of enjoyment for my son.

Want to get started on this?  You can find the original pattern here.  Remember to show me your finished work on my Facebook page!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...