Once Again, Working on My Groovyghan!

Yep, once again, I'm working on my "Groovyghan."  This afghan is made of a couple of strips and granny squares.

Lots of granny squares!  I mentioned this project in a previous post about my favorite resource for crochet patterns.


I love this project.

I chose to do bright, rainbow colors in Caron's Simply Soft.  Just like the name implies, this yarn is soft.  It's not always right for a project, but for the right project, this yarn is lovely.

The plan behind the rainbow colors is that I thought it would be a cheery little blanket.


Can you imagine wrapping these colors around you if you're not feeling good?  Or have spent the day out in the cold rain or snow and just need to get warm and cozy?  Or maybe it's a cool spring morning and you have a favorite china tea cup filled with your favorite tea.

Yep, these are the daydreams I had in mind when I started this blanket.  And that was over two years ago.

There...I said it!  I started this project over two years ago and still haven't finished.  I know I'm not alone here.  I know there are other yarn lovers who start projects and take forever to complete them.


I've said it before; I love variety, love changing it up!  So there have been other projects I've started and completed in the meantime.  Thread crochet angels and decorative pot holders, doilies, Christmas oraments, stuffed animals, and more.

I guess I just haven't made this project a priority...until now.
I'm probably about halfway done.  The way I figure it, if I do a couple of squares a day, I could piece this together and finish it in a few weeks.  Just in time for the holidays!

Actually, I'll miss Thanksgiving, but I could probably work a little faster and be done by then.

Maybe posting my progress here will keep me accountable.  Maybe I'll do a post every day detailing what I've been able to do.  Sounds good to me!

Here's how I'm doing it.

I made two strips.  One is made up of rows of double crochets and popcorns - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.  The other is made up of wavy chevrons using the same colors (see the photo at left.)

I'm making 6-round granny squares.  Some are solid, some are two-colored, some are rainbow.

And I did a couple of specialty squares.  One is this daisy granny square.  It works up really cute.



The other is this granny with a heart in the center.  Unfortunately, I can't find the exact pattern I used.



It doesn't help that I tend to take a pattern and make it my own by changing it up as I go.  I'm looking for it, though, and will update this page when I find it.

That about wraps up this post.  I'm already looking forward to sharing updates on my progress.

And I think I have another bag of granny squares for this project somewhere around here.  I'm positive I did more.  I guess I know how I'm spending my evening!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...