Cupcake Granny Square Crochet Pattern Work Up and Review


Welcome to my cupcake granny square crochet pattern work up and review - the second post in the cupcake series!  This was definitely a fun project to create.



Isn't it the sweetest?  Sort of reminds me of the daisy granny square I made for my Groovyghan.

The pattern starts off by having you crochet the bottom, which takes a few minutes.  It's all double-crochet with a couple of rows that include DC increases.  The pattern is very clear with this instruction, so you should be able to whip this up quickly.

 


Next, we begin work on the crochet top.  This part gets a little tricky because you're not working in rounds - you're making a semi-circle.


So here's what I suggest: watch the video on the pattern's original page. 

THIS IS A GOLDMINE!  I got stuck on the pattern a couple of times and this video is the only reason I got clarity.  Yes, the pattern is tricky.  It is even a bit confusing for me; this is not to say you'll agree.  But the video - oh, how I love it! - made it work beautifully for me. 

You could even start the video and be walked through the pattern step-by-step (she speeds up here and there to save time, after she's explained what to do.)  Just have your yarn and hook ready and you're good to go.



Once I had my cupcake pieces completed, I matched up the pieces to where I wanted and whip stitched the pieces together as indicated in the pattern and video.  For more support, I whip stitched one way and the back again, as you can see in the photos.






Since I decided to include this granny in my Groovyghan project, I made the cupcake with regular worsted weight yarn and the outer granny portion with Caron Simply Soft.  I didn't have the right colors to do the whole thing in Simply Soft, so I made do.  The contrasting yarn gives it an interesting texture - I like it!



To get the outer granny part started, you choose a stitch on the top right of the cupcake.  You can see in the above photo where I inserted my hook and pulled up a loop.



Based on where you start, you'll skip a couple of stitches and work your next 3 DC, skip a couple more, work your corner, and so on.  The pattern tells you what to do and the video shows you.  Then, once you get started, it's just like working a basic granny square.

I worked a total of four rounds of DCs and ch spaces to match the granny squares I'm using in my other project.



The final step was to put a cherry on top - work a magic ring, a few stitches, slip stitch together, and sew it to the "frosting."



  I love projects that are easy to do.  Beginners could absolutely do this project.  As I said, there are some challenging parts but the video tutorial helps you through them.

The creator of this pattern did an entire series on "bake shop" patterns - and you know how much I love a good crochet series!

Visit Sewrella to see the cupcake granny square pattern and video, then check out the other goodies on the site.  Thank you, Ashleigh, for a super fun project!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...